Four to 12 percent of people undergoing cataract surgery to replace a cloudy lens with a clear artificial one develop posterior capsule opacification (PCO). Also referred to as secondary cataract, PCO is the most common vision-compromising complication of cataract surgery.
Silencing a gene called Nrl in mice prevents the loss of cells from degenerative diseases of the retina, according to a new study. The findings could lead to novel therapies for preventing vision loss from human diseases such as retinitis pigmentosa.
The breast cancer drug tamoxifen appears to protect light-sensitive cells in the eye from degeneration, according to a new study in mice. The drug prevented immune cells from removing injured photoreceptors, the light-sensitive cells of the retina in the back of the eye.
News from NEI Grantees
- Brain “rewires” itself to enhance other senses in blind people March 22, 2017
- Fighting Blindness: TSRI Scientists Bring a Key Protein into Focus March 6, 2017
- Vitamin B3 Prevents Glaucoma, JAX Researchers Find February 16, 2017
- In the Zinc of an Eye January 9, 2017
- National Multisite Study Led by NYU Langone Seeks New & Innovative Ways to Treat Shingles of the Eye November 17, 2016
- Retinitis Pigmentosa May Be Treated by Reprogramming Sugar Metabolism November 14, 2016
- New Findings Show Promise for Treatment of Graves’ Disease and Other Ocular Disorders November 11, 2016
- Pain medicine helps preserve vision in model of inherited retinal degeneration June 27, 2016
- Researchers Find Immunosuppressive Medication An Effective Treatment For Ocular Graft-Versus-Host-Disease April 13, 2016
- Scientists reveal new target for anti-lymphangiogenesis drugs April 12, 2016
- Largest Eye Study Among Chinese Americans Identifies More Effective Ways to Prevent and Treat Blinding Eye Diseases for This Racial Group April 8, 2016
- Neuronal Feedback Could Change What We “See” March 29, 2016
- Nerve injury appears to be root of diabetes-related vision loss March 23, 2016
- IUPUI researchers use stem cells to identify cellular processes related to glaucoma March 21, 2016
- Before retinal cells die, they regenerate, Penn Vet blindness study finds March 18, 2016