Celebrating the past – envisioning the future
The National Eye Institute celebrates its 50th anniversary in 2018! This is an exciting milestone for us as we look back at the progress made in diagnosing and treating eye diseases and vision impairment since NEI was established in 1968.
We are also looking forward. Our mission continues to be to protect and prolong vision, and we are supporting cutting-edge research, translational science and clinical trials to advance sight-saving treatments, reduce visual impairment and blindness, and improve the quality of life for people of all ages. We are also advancing our knowledge of how the visual system—from the eyes to the brain—works in health and disease.
50th Anniversary Events
- Symposium: Vision and the Brain (November 10, 2017)
- Brain Awareness Week (March 14, 2018)
- NEI on Capitol Hill (March 21, 2018)
- Symposium: Vision and Immunology (March 22, 2018)
- USA Science & Engineering Festival (April 6 – 8, 2018)
- ARVO Annual Meeting (April 29 – May 3, 2018)
- Symposium: Low Vision and Vision Rehabilitation (June 29, 2018)
- Symposium: Future of Vision Research (October 18, 2018)