The NEI supports a number of activities to bridge the gap between the proposed human application of a discovery, and new medicines, devices, or surgeries work in people. NEI also collaborates with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to facilitate the ophthalmic regulatory approval process.
Collaborative Clinical Research. The NEI uses a number of funding mechanisms to support clinical trials through conception, protocol development, recruitment and retention, treatment and follow-up, and close out. NEI also supports research networks to facilitate clinical trials in specific disease areas, such as pediatric eye disease and diabetic retinopathy.
FDA/NEI Clinical Trial Endpoints Symposia
- Use of Functional Vision Endpoints in Visual Prostheses Product Development, May 2011
- Glaucoma Clinical Trial Design and Endpoints Symposium: Measures of Structural Change and Visual Function, September 2010
- Use of Patient-reported Outcomes in Medical Product Development, October 2009
- Glaucoma Clinical Drug Trial Design and Endpoints, March 2008
- Ophthalmic Clinical Trial Design and Endpoints (AMD and Diabetic Retinopathy), November 2006