The mission of the Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry (ASCO) is to serve the public through the continued advancement and promotion of all aspects of academic optometry. In support of this mission, ASCO is committed to fulfilling the leadership role in the optometric education enterprise by doing the following:
- Serving as an advocate and spokesperson at the national level.
- Providing leadership in education policy and research.
- Supporting member institutions in the advancement of common goals.
- Encouraging and facilitating interaction and cooperation among member institutions.
- Serving as a liaison to the larger community of optometric organizations, health professions, education associations, other healthcare professions and industry.
- Promoting ethnic and cultural diversity and by supporting member institutions’ embrace of diversity in their practices and programs as it embodies the idea of an open and multicultural society.
- Supporting the international development of optometric education.
ASCO program activities cover a wide range of programs including applicant development and diversity, cultural competency, faculty and executive development, government affairs, residency promotion, data development and analysis, strategic communications and publications, centralized application and residency matching services, and other activities.
Annual Meeting, always in June Board Meetings, three times a year